Saturday, July 28, 2007

Good Enough

My uncle's funeral will be in several hours. And we're burying him.

The other day I posted about how he got remarried in his seventies. It was actually very sweet the way he chose to allow himself to love again after my aunt (his first wife) passed away. It's inspiring actually.

In love, I suppose the ideal is to accept each other's weaknesses, shortcomings, and imperfections. Love keeps no record of wrongs. To accept him doesn't necessarily mean to blindly pretend like he's perfect. For the guy that I fall in love with, accepting him means to love him anyway.

Over the past few days, I've been frustrated about not feeling good enough in the eyes of people in my life. I think it's probably more accurate to say that I don't feel good enough in my own eyes. When it comes to friends, I can live with being imperfect. But for the guy that I fall in love with, I have incentive to grow and to change - not because I don't think he'll love me if I don't, but rather it is because I know he loves me anyway. He makes me want to be better.

That kinda reminds me of my relationship with Christ.

It also reminds me of Makena's song "Good Enough". Siena and Toast gave me the mp3 of it and gave me permission to use it. Listen to it here:

http://www.catalystlb.org/GoodEnough.mp3

A few weeks ago I saw them perform it here in Long Beach and I posted it on YouTube.



I'm also posting the lyrics of the song below . . . . (click the link below to read the entire post).

GOOD ENOUGH
Copyright 2003 Siena Lee & Toast Tajiri (MAKENA)

You give me all day to study your face
But that ain't still not, that's not enough
I need till midnight, give me a lifetime
To find all the ways that we can touch
Oh my Jesus, but you're the sweetest
Thing in my cup, can I measure up

I wanna be good enough for you
I wanna be the one too good to be true
I wanna be good enough for me
So I can love you like crazy and still feel the peace
Of opening up all of my heart
More than I thought, stronger and soft
I wanna be good enough for us

Said the wrong thing, saw your face dim
Felt my heart shrink up inside
Said I'm sorry, you said it's okay
That everythings gonna be alright
And I know that, still I wish it
Would be okay now, it comes back to how

chorus

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't people would say such things about you! Clearly these people have issues of their own that they need to resolve...they don't need to take it out on you! Friends accept you the way you are, with defects and all! I understand that maybe sometimes we do things that people don't like but come on...U R SO A CATCH and (even if we don't talk as much as before because we're both so busy...)you're still a good friend of mine!! Don't let anyone bring you down...especially if they are your so-called friends...
- D A R I O

Anonymous said...

I can't believe people would say such things about you! Clearly these people have issues of their own that they need to resolve...they don't need to take it out on you! Friends accept you the way you are, with defects and all! I understand that maybe sometimes we do things that people don't like but come on...U R SO A CATCH and (even if we don't talk as much as before because we're both so busy...)you're still a good friend of mine!! Don't let anyone bring you down...especially if they are your so-called friends...
- D A R I O

Jack Kiefer said...

You're plenty 'good enough'. I think everyone should strive to always be even better, but if God accepts us as we are (and He being perfect), who are we to rush to judgment or decide someone else isn't 'good enough'? Keep your head up, Eric :)