Monday, April 23, 2007

Second Place Trophy at Division Speech Contest

I won the 2nd Place Trophy at the Division Speech Contest this past Saturday morning! Woo hoo!

I also had the support of some awesome SoCal GCN friends, not to mention members of my local Toastmasters club! Gosh, it meant so much to me to have them all there, especially since they all came from cities all around Southern California. They are such a blessing!

A fellow club member, Dana, competed in a different category and she won first place! So she gets to advance to the District Conference! As for me, I serve as the alternate in my category representing the district so in case *something happens to the 1st place winner* (grin), I've gotta be ready to go!

Afterwards, we went out for a celebratory lunch in Redondo Beach at a really great restaurant.

I had alot of fun competing in the contest! It was great being able to share my message of community and citizenship with an audience full of public speakers. My goal was not to focus on winning the contest, but rather to effectively communicate the very same message that I have been giving to people in my community. If some of these awesome speakers can take something of what I shared with them and incorporate it into their own speeches, then the message can continue on way past me. I think I was able to do this so I consider myself successful! Plus, i'm very pleased with how I delivered the speech. =)

Be sure to check out the pics in the photo loops at the top of the right column!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome

The Rainbow Zebra said...

SQUEE!! Congratulations Eric :)

Unknown said...

Eric...You did an awesome job on Saturday, I was proud to be there to support you. It occurred to me as I was driving home that you can't compete with a survivor of domestic violence....you were definitely better, but it's kind of difficult to compete against a woman who just told everyone she almost died.

Peace out homie

N/A said...

Congratulations! That's a talent you should cherish.